Monday, June 30, 2008

Is it just me? The first of many social questions.

I consider myself a very accomodating person... a very calm collected person... a very reasonable and empathetic person.

Why does it bother me so much that my new neighbors take shortcuts on my property???!!!

We have a what we call a 'circle through' driveway, two entrances with a long driveway attatched that runs along side and between our house... and the neighbors. But 90% is ours. Local property laws however, insist on a 6 ft leeway between properties ... or something to the effect. No permament barrier is allowed here for our building and local codes. We wouldn't want to build a fence anyhow because we really are nice people and this would completely take away any semblance of a driveway for them, and it would just be in OUR way as well, should we need to drive up to the garage out back.

BUT...their tween and teen age kids would rather walk 5 ft from my front steps, past three windows and right up against and sometimes in between two vehicles of ours, rather than continue on up the sidewalk 30 more feet. But it's still just as far if they cut across my front driveway. Ok, maybe it's more like 28 feet with their 'short cut'. Even the adults do it. It's bad enough they have car washing parties in the driveway between our house and sit their not-so-skinny-butts on my heat pump unit while they hang out right outside my kitchen window... on my property. Up against my house. ON my air conditioner. But now, they are having people DRIVE THROUGH my driveway to pick up and drop off said tweens and teens.

Is it just me?

I was raised by parents who demanded respect. They didn't always deserve it, but it was expected, and they got it. And that went for all adults as well. I don't even recall ever being told exactly to, 'Respect your elders.' or 'Respect other people's property/space.' It just seems like something you should KNOW. It's a given. It's so stinkin' simplistic. When I walk somewhere with my sister and her brood, I am adamant about making sure they stay off people's lawns. It's just the polite way to be. Right? I say, 'Who lives here? Do you live here? No? Oooh, then we better keep our feet where it's ok to walk.' It seems I've been a good influence as I've since heard her take on the concept herself and actually care to enforce it on her own. Go figure.

But why have we lost the respect for space at all these days? I don't know if it is an extension of the 'personal bubble' of space that a lot of people are most comfortable with, or if it is really that deeply grounded in straight up r-e-s-p-e-c-t. I think I definitely have issues with both! Because this just reeeeallly bugs me! But I'm not petty. I will not be petty! I will not SAY anything to them about it... no matter how much I want to. I'll rack my brain and try to find ways to personalize my property. I will post one of those 'my-son-made-this-in-shop-class-and-we-want-to-make-him-feel-proud-so-we-will-display-this-The Fockers-sign-forever-' wooden slabs with burnt on writing. I will put mini gates on each side of the driveway. I will extend a planting island beyond the corner of my house and out into the driveway for space definition... because it's MY driveway and I can. I will also trim the pine tree that overhangs the sidewalk- as I tell myself this is the only reason they shortcut. I will shroud the front edge of my property with tall plantings so that when you enter onto my property you are entering INTO my property. I will open my curtains more often and make my presence known. Heck.. I may even paint my mail box all funky and weird.

That's it! I'll become the weirdo next door they want to avoid!

Wait... I am already the weirdo next door who avoids them.

So I'm not as social as they are. So what if I hardly come outside and don't have visitors very often. I LIKE it that way. That's right... not too many visitors. Don't ask me why I have a circle through driveway... it came with the house.

But you don't have one. So stop using mine and get over it!

Is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's in your head?