Monday, March 31, 2008

The musical side of Red

I am a music lover! I think it's very sad that there are those who actually don't have any kind of music collection in their home, no favorite artists or types of music, or even turn on their car radio. I've had so much fun loading my playlist in the last few days that it's pretty loaded. So- I thought I would take a break and maybe help you all sort out what's there... and why.

I'm the sort who listens to music for these reasons, in this order:
1: The sound/flow/beat/goosebump factor of it
2: How well I relate to the lyrics
3: My fickle mood

Ninety Nine percent of what's on my list is there for very personal reasons, the 'I can relate! ones. Usually because I do - however unfortunate that is, lol. But then there are those which I can only relate to on certain levels... because half way into it, a phrase is sung that just changes the entire meaning. Very annoying. But still either close enough, or just lovely sentiments. Then there are the 'Get up and wiggle it cuz you just don't give a damn' songs. I'm still not sure if the 'Making whoopie' songs are a category unto themselves or if they are part of the 'Wiggle it' one. They usually tend to be. And lastly there are those 'Angry Songs'. This category is hard to say when I like to listen to it, because I'm normally a positive person. But sometimes you can only remain positive by having an outlet. And this category fills that need very well. I'm still looking for so many that i'd like to have on it, but for now i'll give you a bit of a guide on some of the random stuff that IS there.

Ozzy Osbourne: So Tired: If you aren't a fan or have never heard of this one, you'd be very surprised to know it's a ballad, and you'd probably never guess it was him if you weren't told. Imagine a woman who is having an affair and the guy keeps telling her he will soon be all hers. Only this time it's the guy being put on hold and he's fed up and is giving up waiting. Very sad.

Amy Grant: Ask Me: This starts off with the singer talking about a young girl who is sexually abused and trying to do all that she can to erase it but all she can do is bathe him off her, put on perfume so she doesn't smell him, etc etc. The singer inquires 'ask me if I think there's a God up in the heaven' because she sees no mercy comfort or salvation from this situation. Later the girl grows up and has gotten through it the best she can and life is pretty normal. The singer again says 'Ask me how I know, there's a God up in the heaven.' Here it becomes obvious that the singer is the little girl and it's because she lived through it that she DOES beleive she was being taken care of all along. I think that's an awesome example of faith and a positive outlook- it's the only way to not be a victim your entire life.

Meatloaf: Life Is A Lemon, And I Want My Money Back: Awesome 'Angry Song'. He goes down the list of things that are defective about or in life. It's almost too cynical even for 'ME'... but oh so fun to yell along with.
From 'What about love? IT'S DEFECTIVE! It's always breaking in half...what about sex? IT'S DEFECTIVE! It's never built to really last.' to 'What about your childhood? IT'S DEFECTIVE! It's always getting burried in the past... What about your future? IT'S DEFECTIVE! You can shove it up your aaaaaaaaassssssssssssss. Lol. Gotta love it!

I'd love to know what you think about each one and if it's new to you or not. Just promise to TRY to judge based on lyric content more than first impression of the sound of it. There will be more to come in the days to follow!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post... Nice Blog...

    I also love music and i agree with you...

    Anyways... i turned my blog into a Question and Answer blog where you can share your ideas.

    It is also a "what if blog" where you can share your ideas if you were in a certain situation...

    Hope you visit my blog sometime and share you ideas by answering the questions...

    See you around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Ozzy song, and the Meatloaf song and never heard the Amy Grant one but I'll check it out.

    For some reason lately I've been in love with a song called "Stricken" by Disturbed. I found it by listening to my son play Guitar Hero. :)

    ReplyDelete

What's in your head?