Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Most Boring Day

Siigghhhh.....
I feel like posting something on this the most boring day. I'm not sure what about... but I am sure what I don't want to post about.... the New Year. I've had it up to my eyeballs, literally, with, 'Happy New Year' and 'What are your New Year resolutions?" and "How are you starting off the New Year'.... etc etc etc etc etc etc! Enough already.

I refuse to post about New Years.

I wonder if the reason people started the tradition of partying so hard on New Years Eve is so that they would sleep all day on January 1st. ? Any good reason to sleep through the most boring day of the year seems appealing. If only I could have. But the problem with that is that it really isn't just an issue for this one day. It really does drag out all month. Not only is it the big let down after the big hype of Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the weather is blah! Just cold and blah. The days are actually starting to get longer if you can believe it. Dec 21st was the shortest day of the year and every day after will just get longer and longer until they start to get short again after the first day of summer. So January REALLY drags out. I remember as a kid... before computers, cell phones and affordable cable... I would sometimes think I would go out of my mind from boredom. I would find myself watching reruns of Happy Days, M.A.S.H.... and absolutely cheesy variety shows. And I really hated M.A.S.H if that tells ya anything of how completely and utterly bored I would get. I would get so bored I would just go to bed before my bedtime.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I was so unimaginative and lazy that I just bored myself. Sometimes I would bundle up and go for a bike ride in the cold gray weather. Sometimes I would have a sports event or practice. Sometimes I would walk to the indoor community pool. Sometimes I would play records (yes actual vinyl records - showing my age here) and rearrange the Teen Beat posters of Quiet Riot, Cinderella, Duran Duran, and Def Leopard on my walls.

But no matter what I did... it always ended at some point and that gnawing stir crazy feeling would kick in immediately. That's how I feel every day for most of the winter, once the holidays are over. Things don't start looking up until Spring begins to tease me with it's peekaboos and previews.

See? I said I refused to write about the New Year and yet I was so bored, I wrote about the New Year.

Oy vey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's in your head?